Intent in R.E.
We are a Church of England and Methodist school and we are committed to the Christian Faith, recognising and valuing the Anglican and Methodist traditions. The Religious Education in our school is in accordance with the rites, practices and doctrines of the Church of England and Methodist Church as laid down in the Trust Deed. The management of Religious Education is a distinctive role of the governors and Headteacher.
Through our RE curriculum we aim:
- To know about and understand Christianity as a diverse global living faith that influences the lives of people so that they shine the light of Jesus Christ.
- To explore core beliefs using an approach that critically engages with biblical text.
- To enable pupils to gain knowledge and understanding of a range of religions and worldviews appreciating diversity, continuity and change within the religions and worldviews being studied.
- To explore their own religious, spiritual and philosophical ways living, believing and thinking so that they will want to make a difference in the local and wider communities, contributing to a healthy mind.
- To encourage children to dive deeper in their thinking in order to develop an enquiring mind, not being afraid to ask big questions and be investigative.
- To engage with challenging questions of meaning and purpose raised by human existence and experience.
- To encourage children to be creative in their thinking, making links between religion and their own lives,
- To recognise the concept of religion and its continuing influence on Britain’s cultural heritage and in the lives of individuals and societies in different times, cultures and places.
- To use a religious vocabulary to help children express their understanding.